Tuesday, November 29, 2011

News from the Seed Pod

As a true experiment, I needed to be sure that my seed bombs would actually germinate and grow if I turned them loose to my friends and family, so I simulated rainfall and set a fertile 'bomb' on a small amount of moist soil in a recycled water bottle that I cut open.. just to see what would happen (don't tell the seeds that it's November in New York) if I kept a watchful eye on them and left them on a windowsill in the sun. Here's what happened:
All three sisters grew without fail! As you can see, the clay broke down around them and they are happily reaching for the sun beaming in my studio window. I particularly like how the dirt is hanging onto the squash seedling, just poking its head out between the bean and corn.
This little microcosm of green has been a source of inspiration in these parts. I made some more seed bombs today. Here are some of the seeds I used:
My current goal is to make about a bushel's worth of seed bombs to store through the winter. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment